Getting things settled in now.
Now that I’ve finally got my new writing-only blog up and running, it’s time to post today’s (current) update. I try to post at least once a day and if it’s not a book update, then it’ll be a writing prompt that I found online somewhere. I’ll always link you up to the website that I find the writing prompt on. Today isn’t a prompt, though, it’s a book update.
Yesterday I spent the day focusing on conflicts to add to my story. My current question is , “How much trauma can you put a child through before you ruin them for life?” This question has been nagging at me from the start and I’ve finally found some solutions for it that, yes, will traumatize my main character, but it won’t ruin her for the rest of her life. Another thing I managed to do yesterday, was look up basic manuscript formatting so I can get used to how the formatting looks. My Prologue/Chapter 1 file went from a 6 page chapter to 17 pages. Since I’ve added to it, I’ve gone from 17 pages to 42 pages in length for my first chapter because of this formatting. But if I change the formatting back to what it was before, it’ll only be about 28 pages long. Still, 28 pages is quite a lot for 1 chapter in a book. Since this is only my first draft, however, it’s mostly tell and no show. In my second draft I’ll be embellishing the writing and it might be longer. I might have to make it into 2 chapters instead of one, but as of now, this looks like a good enough place to stop for the end of this chapter. I’m really proud of how much work I did yesterday.
When I started out yesterday, my chapter was only 2,140 words long. By the end of the night (I didn’t get to bed until 2:30am, it was up to 5,469. It doesn’t seem like a big jump, but keep in mind, I had written this stuff out on paper and pen first which took me easily 3 hours. This morning when I woke up, I opened up the file again and it went from 5,469 to 6,543 words. This is where I had to stop, because my pen had run out and I had to type up the rest of it on my computer in a separate file. It brought my word count up to 9,764. I’m so proud of what I’ve accomplished in those short two days. I’m now sitting at a chapter that’s nearly 10,000 words long, and I’m very excited about that. I’ll be making more progress as the day moves on and I’ll make sure to post the progress either on a blog post for tonight, or on my check-in post in the morning.